Contact Information:

jay@vanishingtowerpress.com

Sunday, January 14

Western USR review sort of...

I actually took down my various PDF's for USR as I thought they all needed some heavy editing and didn't want someone to pay for a set of rules which didn't work.

But Western USR does work. Sure it need some polish. +Andrew Domino has recently discovered the awesomeness of USR and has delivered many useful blog posts on how to create different characters and campaigns with this universal system. He commented on my interpretation of Westerns with my Western USR rules set. Seems he liked my addition of a Speed attribute to the standard attributes listed in the game.



Besides the fact he interpreted the rules wrong in comparison to the speed of a knife versus gun, I am immensely pleased with more looks and critiques on how I use +Scott Malthouse 's lovely set of minimel rules mechanics.

I created Western USR with TSR's Boot Hill 1st edition in my hands. Speed was about the only thing out of the TSR rules I took away which needed to be captured. When mere humans meet hot lead who shoots first is all that matters. I'm finding more and more detailed tactical scenarios do not add to the game. As long as I can answer the question of how far away the target is I think players fill in the rest of the details on the combat environment. Players like to try and control the combat turn to their favor obviously. I like to try and rush combat events so as to make players feel out of control what happens next when the guns and blades come out. With Western USR I tried to construct the combat rules so instant death happens when cool heads do not prevail.

Try the game out and let me know what you think.

4 comments:

  1. What happened with Western USR? Seems like the product was pulled from DTRPG?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is currently pulled. I was not happy with it as a final product I should be selling. I wanted to give it a better presentation with more content before I sold it again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will it ever be back? I'm working on rules to run my own USR Western with some friends, but I'm curious about yours. I tried buying it using an old link that of course doesn't work anymore. I just saw the preview here on your blog. Is there any way to view the full pdf? If so, please send it my way! mmilleraf1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Lay it on the Line